If you are a part of the digital world, you would be familiar with Canva and Picmonkey. These are fairly used designing tools. The users, ranging from a student to a person in business, use these tools to make their content attractive even appealing. Both are equally great in their usage and share many features. It is hard to prefer Canva vs. Picmonkey.
The choice between Canva vs. Picmonkey depends on your requirement. What do you want to do, Graphic designing or Photo editing? The right choice will help you to make your work a classic. The following guide on Canva vs. PicMonkey: which one is the better choice in 2021 will clarify your choice.
Before highlighting the functionalities of Canva vs. PicMonky, let me revise these tools, their merits, and demerits, similarities, and differences to make the choice easy.
Canva vs. PicMonkey: What is canva?
Canva is a drag-and-drop graphic designing tool that lets you create engaging visual content without any graphic designing skill. You can confidently use this reliable and user-friendly platform to create graphics to post online or publish in print. A large variety of above 420,000 pre-made templates makes it easy for you to choose your favorite template to create social media marketing images, blog banners, logos, and edit images.
- Canva is an ideal platform that works wonderfully both for expert and non-expert designers.
- You can create professional-looking designs with less effort for different categories like social media blogs, infographics, letterheads, business cards, posters, and more
- A wide range of pre-made templates helps you to save your precious time.
- You can create, save and modify your templates as well.
- Canva continues updating its blog Design School. A series of tutorials are helpful for its users to keep on updating their knowledge about its functionality.
- Canva autosaves your work.
- Canva requires a reliable, speedy internet connection. A slow speed internet connection will slow down the uploading of your images/designs etc
- You can neither change an image size nor create an image with transparent background.
- There is limited stock of fonts with Canva’s Free Version. For more, you have to get Paid Version. Moreover, the free version does not support uploading your own font.
- You can use a single-block font to make a text mask.
- The stored work in the folder on the computer is not accessed able via mobile app.
- It lacks a menu of layers.
Canva vs. PicMonkey: What is PicMonkey?
Picmonkey is a photo editing tool that you can use to create professional and eye-catching visuals for your content. It is a feature enriched photo editor that transforms simple and ordinary pictures into unique and artistic work. With its extensive array of effects, you can add multiple effects to a photo. Nondesigners or novice graphic designers can use this tool without spending hours on design courses.
- You can edit a photo/video easily
- You can use photo editing tools like image cropping, exposure adjustment, and resizing with an extensive array of effects and filters to make an awesome image.
- PicMonkey’s Touch Up tools like blemish fiver, color changer, wrinkle remover, etc. are easy to use
- You can add text of any font with an image of your own choice and stretch a photo to your desired level by holding the Shift key.
- PicMonkey can be used on desktop or mobile via web or standalone application.
- You can get easy access to “layers features” to beautify your image.
- There is a limited variety of templates. No doubt, many of them are awesome and stunning.
- The dashboard and workspace of PicMonkey are not well organized.
- There is no Snap function. It is hard to center a text or shape.
- While using Picmonkey, annoying advertisements are hard to bear.
- To get a quality image, you have to load it in king kong size down.
Reading Recommendation: Useful digital marketing tools
Canva vs. PicMonkey : Similarities
|Easy to get started||✔||✔|
|Lots of design templates||✔||✔|
|Image and video editor||✔||✔|
|Graph and chart makers||✔||✔|
|Accessible via mobile app||✔||✔|
|Free stock images||✔||✔|
|Customer support and databases||✔||✔|
Canva vs. PicMonkey : Differences
|Free and Premium account||Premium account|
|Best for graphic designing||Best for photo editing|
|Free and Premium stock images||Free stock images|
|Free plan||Does not offer a free plan|
|30 days free trial||7 days free trial|
|Supports MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV||Supports only MP4 file|
|Free account||No free account|
|Supports printing with Canva print||No printing support|
|Presents an on-site design school||Classes are on skillshare|
After a brief survey of Canva vs. PicMonkey, let’s probe deep into their functionality to grasp the clear picture of each to make a perfect choice.
Canva vs. PicMonkey: Easy usage
Canva and Picmonkey are easy to operate, but there is a bit of difference in their usage. As we know that Canva is a graphic designing tool while PicMonkey is a photo editing tool. Thus, both focus on two different things. Canva presents stockpiled, pre-design, top-quality templates for various categories. You customize these templates and go creating fantastic designs no matter how much inexperienced you are. Just a bit of creativity. Here’s a wonderful piece of art to appreciate.
While the primary focus of PicMonkey is photo editing. It has photo retouching options. Therefore, you have to familiarize yourself with photo editing features such as overlaying, effects, exposure, color, erase, brush up tool, touch up tool, etc. It requires skill and learning to use them easily and professionally. You cannot edit a photo unless you have clarity and full command of these features.
Thus, it is clear that Canva is more handy, simple, and easy to use. Here, there is scope for editing an image by applying multiple filters and effects and co-editing the image with a team member.
While using Canva, there is no ambiguity. Everything is set straightforward. You enjoy a bonus point by having a’ get started videos’ option on Canva to familiarize you with an online graphic design tool.
Canva vs. PicMonkey: Templates
In the case of templates, Canva with its wide-ranged, ready-made above 420,000 templates is surely far superior to Picmonkey, which only offers limited templates of 1000. A huge library of Canva from classic to modern stock templates is a treasure trove for novel and unique graphics lovers. You can choose your sorted template, make a simple background change as per requirement, resize the image if needed, add text and font and create an outclass image. Neatly organized templates facilitate you for different categories of social media.
On the other hand, PicMonkey’s limited stock of templates does not offer different categories to choose from. Besides, its templates are not well organized. This is because PicMonkey is a photoshop platform, not a graphic design platform.
Remember! Canva is ever vigilant to update their templates to keep them in style and save them from outdating. Furthermore, these templates include presentations and infographics to help the users explain the thing well to their team.
Canva vs. PicMonkey: Integrations and Apps
Third-party integration and apps are a must for any online graphic designing or photo-shopping tool to improve your design. Canva offers you hundreds of integrations and tools to turn your graphics into pieces of art. Few of them are listed here.
- Pexels and Pixabay (for photo &videos)
- Embeds (for weblinks)
- Cloud Storage (Google Derive, Dropbox)
- Social Media Platforms (for publishing & sharing a design)
- Mailchimp (for saving designs to Mailchimp account)
- Photo Mosh (for image enhancing)
Despite these, there are many more apps and integrations with which Canva incorporates like Flickr, Box, Bitmoji, Typeform, Smartmockups, Pixton, and many more. You can reach these integrations via Apps available in Canva App Directory.
In comparison with Canva, Picmonkey deals with a few supported file-sharing platforms, which include:
- Social Media Platforms (Pinterest, Twitter, Tumblr, YouTube, Facebook)
- Google Derive & Google Photos (helps to upload images into the graphic design platforms)
- Buffer (helps in case if creating too many social media posts)
Canva vs. PicMonkey: The Visual Editor and Interface
Canva and PicMonkey both have a clean, friendly interface and an easy-to-use drag and drop visual editor. Both facilitate you to download, share and resize your design. A live preview of your design helps you see how much effort you need to enhance your design. Now the question arises where does the difference lie? Let me clear it since Picmonkey’s specialty is photo editing, so you have to familiarize yourself and learn about photo editing features first to edit a photo. It is a time-consuming task, and you cannot work well if you are a busy bee.
Another point of difference is their speed. You find PicMonkey’s editor a bit slow. It lags sometimes and has a steeper learning curve. In comparison, Canva’s editor is speedy and has a gradual learning curve. Moreover, Canva lets you create multiple designs on a single page, while in Picmonkey, you have to create a new page for each design that is problematic while working.
The dashboard and workspace of PicMonkey are less organized and less self-explanatory than Canva’s, which are well organized to carry your work smoothly.
Canva vs. PicMonkey: Pricing
Canva offers three different plans for its users. Let’s discuss.
It is 100% free and offers you the following benefits:
- You get 250,00+free templates, 100+ design types for social media posts, presentations, letters, etc., and thousands of free graphics.
- You can collaborate with your team members to work and comment in real-time.
- Canva Free gives you 5GB of cloud storage.
To use certain nice parts of Canva, you have to upgrade to Canva Pro.
It is a paid plan and has two pricing options.
Annual billing costs $119.40 for five users.
Monthly billing costs $12.95 for five members.
Canva pro offers these benefits:
- You get access to 420,000+ templates and 75+ million stock photos, videos, audios, and graphics.
- You can schedule social media posts across seven platforms.
- Canva Pro gives you 100 GB of cloud storage.
- It offers you to save your designs as templates for your team to use.
- You can create 1 Brand Kit and upload your own font and logo.
- You get one-click design Magic Resize
Canva Enterprise gets $30 per month per person, which is paid annually.
Canva Enterprise offers these benefits:
- You can control your team’s access to graphics, colors, logos, fonts, and apps.
- You get single-sign-on (SSO) and 24/7 enterprise-level support.
- Canva Enterprise gives you access to create workflows to get approval on your designs.
- You can set which elements your team can edit and stay on-brand template locking.
- It can establish your brand’s visual identity with logos, colors, and fonts across multiple Brand Kits.
- You get unlimited storage.
- You can use built-in workflows to get approval on your designs.
Reading recommendation: Canva keyboard shortcuts to become a pro.
PicMonkey also offers the following three plans:
Costs at $7.99 per month or $72 per year.
It offers the following benefits:
- You have access to a large font library, lots of templates, and photo editing options.
- It helps to trim and add videos.
- You get 1GB of cloud storage.
- You can download your images as JPG or PNG files.
- You can have real-time collaboration, shared folders, and comments
PicMonkey Pro costs $12.99per month or 120 per year.
You get all the benefits Free Version offers plus including these:
- One-click background remover.
- Istock by Getty photos.
- You can upload your own fonts and set your brand colors and logos.
- It offers you an instant reformate to multiply size.
- You can download your designs as JPEG, PNG, or PDF files.
- Unlimited storage.
- You get priority email support.
It costs $11.33 per month or $300 annually.
You enjoy the same features as Pro plus these:
- You get a discount on registering three or more users.
- You will get a team seat and permission management option.
Canva vs. PicMonkey: Mobile App
Canva and Picmonkey both have mobile apps. You can download these apps from Google and the iTunes store. PicMonkey’s app is free. It has limited features. To use specific tools such as Paint strokes or spring effects, touch up, etc., you have to pay extra. The price for these options is $1.99. Canva has limited options, but a goodly number of users confirms Canva’s popularity. Canva ranks at the top with 50 million+ installations.
Canva vs. PicMonkey: Printing
The Printing application on Picmonkey does not provide internal support. You have to use regular printing. However, it guarantees that your work is printed in the right size. In comparison, Canva has its own printing service called “Canva Print.” However, it is limited to users living in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Southeast Asia, New Zealand, and Australia. You enjoy free shipping for the ordered printed copies of your work. Just click on the “Print” button and follow the order steps.
Canva Vs. PicMonkey: Animator
Canva’s Animator is superb. Just with a single click, you can animate your design into different styles. PicMonkey has no such option.
Both Canva and PicMonkey are incredible and worth paying for designing tools. Each has its own specifications. After reading this guide about Canva vs. PicMonkey: Which one is the better in 2021, you have a clear picture of these tools that will help you make a perfect choice. Your choice depends on your needs and budget. If you want to adopt graphic designing, Canva is the best, and if you’re going to make your name in photo editing, PicMonkey would be the right choice.
Overall, the discussion between Canva and Picmonkey proves that in terms of stock photos, pre-made templates, design tools, and other features, as mentioned earlier, Canva beats PicMonkey. It has become one of the best Useful blog design tools.
Must Read: The ultimate canva Pro review